Lowestoft Great Eastern Hotel
late 20th century
closed later than 1976
78 Denmark Rd
grid reference TM 545 929
View in Google Earth
last updated 07/11/2014
In 1900 Samuel George Marler is listed as proprietor with first class accommodation, choice wines, spirits & cigars, Bass bottled ales, bowling green & billiards.
Shown at this location on the 1885 OS map. It appears as a hotel or pub on OS maps at least as late as 1951, but subsequent available sheets are insufficiently detailed to tell if it was still trading. Evidently the hotel was still trading in 1976, as according to Alfred Hedges' book of that year, "Inns and Inn Signs of Norfolk and Suffolk",
[...]the sign of the Great Eastern at Lowestoft is misleading. After all Lowestoft is the most easterly point in England and most inns named the Great Eastern commemorate the Great Eastern Railway Company. Yet the Great Eastern at Lowestoft is named after the great iron ship of that name, which made its first crossing of the Atlantic in 1860.
It isn't 100% clear whether the building currently on site is the original hotel remodelled or a new building. We suspect the former, but if you can confirm or refute this, please let us know.
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)
(** historic newspaper information from Stuart Ansell)
The GER was formed in 1862 by amalgamation of the Eastern Counties Railway with smaller railways: the Norfolk Railway, the Eastern Union Railway, the Newmarket and Chesterford Railway, the East Norfolk Railway, the Harwich Railway, the East Anglian Railway and the East Suffolk Railway among others.