loading
X
Photo of Elephant & Castle

Eyke Elephant & Castle

Real Ale

The Street, IP12 2QG

01394 421446

grid reference TM 317 518

opened 1715

visit website

(details under review)

Something we've got wrong about this establishment? Something more you think we should know about it? Please email us

opening hours:

  • Mon: 1700-2300
  • Tue-Thu: 1200-1400, 1700-2300
  • Fri: 1200-1400, 1700-2400
  • Sat: 1200-2400
  • Sun: 1200-1800
(Times last updated 09/10/2010)

listed building grade II


View in Google Earth
Local licensing authority for Eyke is Suffolk Coastal

CAMRA Ipswich & East Suffolk branch.



last updated 02/10/2016

Originally a house (built circa 1650) which was converted into a pub in 1715.

Still retains two separate bar areas & remains popular with locals.

In September 2012 it was bought by a London couple, Ian & Sandra, who relocated here & have renovated the pub. Now offering four beers on hand pump and proper pub food. One cider now regularly available.

Occasional quiz nights. No food lunchtimes Mon to Thu or Sunday eve.

Beer served through handpulls Beer served through handpulls

Lunchtime meals (not just snacks) Lunchtime meals (not just snacks)

Evening meals Evening meals

Restaurant or separate dining area Restaurant or separate dining area

Separate public bar Separate public bar

Traditional pub games available Traditional pub games available

Real fire Real fire

dogs-welcome Dog friendly

children-welcome Family friendly

Pub is accessible to disabled customers Pub is accessible to disabled customers

Bus stop Bus stop nearby (see public transport tab for details)

station 2.50 miles away Railway station about 2.50 miles away (see public transport tab for details)

parking parking

Beer garden or other outside drinking area Beer garden or other outside drinking area


(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)

(*** historic newspaper information from Bob Mitchell)


Note

An elephant & castle has appeared in the crest of the Cutlers Company since 1622. Ivory was then used to create knife handles. Some claim that the name derives from "Infanta of Castile" a reference to Eleanor of Castile, wife of Edward I.