Eye Horse Shoes
previously known as Three Horseshoes
closed 1991 or 1992
18 Castle St
grid reference TM 145 737
listed building grade II
View in Google Earth
last updated 11/04/2015
Now residential, the building dates from the early 18th century with the façade dating from the late 19th.
A report in the Bury & Norwich Post** on Aug-10 in 1869 when Harry Gill was the landlord states that :
"Frederick Adams a letter carrier admitted setting fire to a straw stack when he discarded the match he used to light a cigar. On his way from the Lion he passed the stack then stopped to talk to Harry Gill son of the Horse Shoes landlord, minutes later the stack was seen ablaze. Adams was described as a good man, excepting habits of intoxication. He received 5 years imprisonment."
A report in the Ipswich Journal*** on 03 Jun in 1837 stated that Robert Koipe COBBOLD of the Eye Brewery was retiring from business & was looking to sell various Inns & Public Houses including the Three Horse Shoes.
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)
(** historic newspaper information from Stuart Ansell)
(*** historic newspaper information from Bob Mitchell)
(1861 census information from Malcolm Fairley)