Eye White Lion
late 20th century
17 Broad St
grid reference TM 145 738
listed building grade II
View in Google Earth
last updated 14/02/2015
The building dates from the 15th century.
Formerly a Family & Commercial hotel & posting house.
In 1830 the "Monarch" coach to London (via Ipswich) called here every evening at 7pm whilst the "Monarch" coach to Norwich called every morning at 6am. Also the "Star" to London (from Yarmouth) called every morning at half past ten whilst the returning "Star" to Yarmouth (via Bungay & Beccles) called every eve at half past five.
In Feb 1986 edition of Last Orders**** it was reported that the inn was closed for alterations including expansion plans to create a series of 7 bar areas - but it never reopened. It was subsequently converted to shops and a theatre (since closed).
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)
(** historic newspaper information from Stuart Ansell)
(*** historic newspaper information from Bob Mitchell)
(**** Last Orders is a free local newsletter - published by Suffolk CAMRA members since 1978)