loading
Join CAMRA online
no picture yet
firstlastnextlast

Sudbury Swan

previously known as Suffolk hotel



closed

closed 1844 circa

Market Hill


Something we've got wrong about this establishment? Something more you think we should know about it? Please email us
last updated 31/12/2014

Known to have been open between at least 1761 and 1838, when it was mentioned in reports in both the Ipswich Journal and the Bury & Norwich Post** as follows:

Ipswich Journal, January 10th 1761

This day (January 6th) Thomas Fonnereau and John Henniker, approved for representing the Borough of Sudbury in the ensuing Parliament were met a mile or two out of the town by the Mayor and Aldermen and a great number of gentlemen and freemen who ushered them unto the Town hall amid a great concourse of people, an elegant entertainment was provided for the company at the Swan Inn and the whole day was spent in great harmony and good humour, drinking many loyal jovial toasts.

Bury & Norwich Post, April 18th 1838

A most awful instance of sudden death occured at Sudbury on Thursday last, Mr E.Allen of Ballingdon Grove, a merchant, was spending the evening in the Swan Inn when he exclaimed he felt unwell and dropped down dead, this is the second sudden death in the Swan in three months.


(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)

(* reports reproduced with kind permission from Foxearth & District Local History Society)

(** historic newspaper information from Stuart Ansell)

(*** historic newspaper information from Bob Mitchell)