Stowmarket Phoenix (Hole in the Wall)
mid 20th century
opened 1869 circa
25 Station Rd
grid reference TM 049 587
View in Google Earth
last updated 31/07/2014
Listed at number 25 in the 1909 Rates book, this pub has also been reported at number 27.
An earlier beerhouse on this site owned by Robert Worledge was destroyed by fire in June 1885 together with several other local properties. Subsequently rebuilt by Oliver John Parker and soon after occupied by James Lillistone. Called the Phoenix from about 1890. Also known as the "hole in the wall" due to its small size.
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)
(detailed information from Neil Langridge - and also Brian Southgate - see their book "Stowmarket, Combs and Stowupland Pubs" published by Polstead Press in 2009)