Stowmarket King's Head
opened 1660 circa
closed March 16th, 1963
last owner Tollemache
14 Ipswich St
grid reference TM 048 585
View in Google Earth
last updated 30/01/2015
May have ceased trading at various times in its history and had a great number of owners.
Tollemache brewery decided to delicense and sell it in 1963 after the then tenant, JW Gray, died.
In the early 20th cent. a boxing booth was within the hotel complex.
Demolished in 1960s as part of a large scale urban redevelopment.
Shown here on an old OS map
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)
Closure date from the Stow licensing records.
(detailed information from Neil Langridge - and also Brian Southgate - see their book "Stowmarket, Combs and Stowupland Pubs" published by Polstead Press in 2009)
(** historic newspaper information from Stuart Ansell)
(*** historic newspaper information from Bob Mitchell)