Stowmarket Baker's Arms
grid reference TM 046 589
View in Google Earth
last updated 07/11/2014
Also listed at 43 Violet Hill (1909 Rates Book).
Was also a bakery and lodging house. In 1871 census 20 lodgers are living here.
License was refused in 1913 as part of a move to reduce number of local beer houses. An oil lamp fire in May 1914 resulted in the death of the housekeeper Caroline Douglas.
House demolished in 1986.
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)
(detailed information by Neil Langridge - and also Brian Southgate - see their book "Stowmarket, Combs and Stowupland Pubs" published in 2009)
(** historic newspaper information from Stuart Ansell)
(*** historic newspaper information from Bob Mitchell)