Scroll through other Southwold closed premises
Now integrated into Adnams brewery; the frontage (and maybe the entire building) appears to have been rebuilt.
On 8th November 1863, about 7 o'clock in the evening (a Sunday) Mrs. Ballantine Brown was walking to Church. In Church St. she was startled to find someone walking close beside her - a man
dressed in a long "oily" (oil skin coat) and a peculiarly shaped sou'wester - a kind never worn by Southwold or East Coast fishermen.
When she came to the entrance of the yard where the "Brickmakers Arms" public house is, the figure disappeared. She then became dreadfully frightened and went to a friend's house nearby. The following morning she, with other people, were on the Cliff
watching a fishing boat (half and halfer) of which E . Palmer was master, beating in for the harbour. Upon seeing them the Wesleyan Minister came and told
them that the night before (Sunday) Palmer had been
instantly killed by the mast falling on him. The time of the accident corresponded exactly with that in
which she had seen the figure in Church St. He was wearing a sou'wester which formerly belonged to a
French fisherman which she also identified.**
last updated 18/08/2014
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)
(** extract from a book "A Selection of Ghost Stories Smuggling Stories and Poems connected with Southwold by A. BARRETT JENKINS)