Scroll through other Reydon closed premises
A paperback book published in 1969, called "Inns of the Suffolk Coast" by Leonard P Thompson**** contains the following extract: The Bear Inn disappeared over one hundred years ago (1869).
One night a boat called the Dart was being worked by two Pakefield brothers, and ran a cargo into Southwold Harbour. The Dart entered Buss Creek, and was on her way to 'Mights Bridge' under muffled oars, where her contraband was landed, and taken to the house standing at Bridge foot, then a public-house called 'The Bear'.****
Now residential and called Bridge House.
According to the Reydon village website,
On Reydon Corner stood The Bear Inn, (now Bridge house) built probably around the middle of the 18th century. In 1825 an exceptionally high tide flooded the ground floor right up to the door and a boat had to be used to carry the customers on their way. On at least one occasion, and probably there were many, the Bear was used to store smuggled goods bought up the Blyth.
The quoted closure date seems to be corroborated by licensing records, which though going back as far as 1874, don't mention the Bear.
last updated 16/12/2013
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)
(** historic newspaper information from Stuart Ansell)
(*** historic book information from Bob Mitchell)
(**** extract from a book "A Selection of Ghost Stories Smuggling Stories and Poems connected with Southwold by A. BARRETT JENKINS)