Norton Fox & Hounds
closed between 1958 and 1973?
grid reference TL 955 665
View in Google Earth
CAMRA West Suffolk & Borders branch.
last updated 11/04/2015
May also be listed as Stanton St?
The pub is shown on OS maps as late as 1958 but not on the 1973 or subsequent sheets, so probably closed between those dates.
The Bennetts at The Fox and Hounds were related to the Bennetts at The Horseshoes (also in Norton). William Bennett is the one standing in the doorway on the photo.
An article reports:
For 50 years Mr Samuel Bennett was a landlord of Greene King & sons Ltd and to commemorate this interesting event Mr K L D Lake and Mr H R Clarke (directors) visited the Fox & Hounds and presented Mr Bennett with a gold hunter watch with best wishes from the firm. It was engraved: "Presented to Samuel Bennett by the Directors of Greene King & sons Ltd on his completing 50 years as a tenant with them on October 11th 1938."
Mr Bennett has been a licensee of the Fox & Hounds for 50 years and prior to that hld the license of the Sadlers Arms (now closed) for four and a half years.
In earlier years Mr Bennett was also a farmer having farmed Mill Farm and the Gravel farm afterwards the Beeches farm, from where he retired 12 years ago. He was also a horse and van carrier before the advent of buses and had many interesting experiences. He recalls that he drove the same man to his three weddings at which the same clergyman officiated, and on the third occasion the man asked the rector as he paid if there was any discount.
(information from David Burt)
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)
(1891 census information from Dudley Diaper)