loading
Join CAMRA online
Photo of Red Lion
firstlastnextlast

Needham Market Red Lion

previously known as Lion



closed

opened 1540

closed 1779

22-24 High St

grid reference TM 089 548


Something we've got wrong about this establishment? Something more you think we should know about it? Please email us

listed building grade II


View in Google Earth
last updated 11/04/2015

The tavern was only ever part of a large grouping of malting and residential buildings. In 1727 a William Carter pub inventory reveals the business comprised a kitchen, parlour, cellar, brew-house, 3 bed chambers, a stable and barn.

In 1860 the adjacent malt factory (20 High St) was rebuilt by George Stewart who sold it in 1867. Later this business was called the Needham Market Steam Brewery (run by George Clowes) and continued until about 1913 (last listed in 1904).

Later it was part of the Malga Factory and rebuilt in white brick. Now used as shops and residential.

(information from book "Needham Market Pubs" by Desmond and Shelagh Herring)

The building dates from the early or mid 16th century.


(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)

(information from book "Needham Market Pubs" by Desmond and Shelagh Herring)