Monks Eleigh King's Head
CAMRA West Suffolk & Borders branch.last updated 03/06/2015
A report in the Ipswich Journal** in Jul 1865 states that :
To be sold by auction, under the directions of the proprietor, that old established beer house, known as the King's Head, in the parish of Monks Eleigh, doing a good trade, with premises attached, where for many years a wheelwright's business has been carried on. The property possesses a frontage to the street of about 80ft, and consists of a house, containing 2 sitting rooms, tap room, parlour, and 4 bed rooms; a large range of buildings consists of a wheelwright's shop and saw shed, brewhouse, stores, stable, piggeries etc., with capital yard and garden, and a good well of water, the whole presenting a capital opportunity for carrying on the above business to anyone wishing to embark on the same.
A report in the Ipswich Journal*** on 25 Oct in 1889 states that :
Samuel GOODCHILD of Monks Eleigh, was charged with keeping his beer house open during prohibited hours - Case dismissed.
The 1891 & 1901 census locate pub on north side of High St., to the west of Church St. (1901 census lists King's Head at schedule no. 5 and Swan at no. 25.)
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)
(** historic newspaper information from Stuart Ansell)
(*** historic newspaper information from Bob Mitchell)