grid reference TM 077 343Something we've got wrong about this establishment? Something more you think we should know about it? Please email us
listed building grade II
CAMRA Ipswich & East Suffolk branch.
last updated 03/03/2019
East Bergholt King's Headhistorical era: 21st century
opened 16th century
Burnt Oak, CO7 6TL
A 400 year old pub which was claimed to have a friendly ghost. Located close to Flatford Mill.
It was refurbished during the summer of 2013 to a high contemporary standard and featured a small main bar area with large spacious dining spaces.
It closed mid-2016. In March 2017 the EADT reported that planning permission to change the building into a café, shop and home. This was opposed by the local community, who put together a bid to lease the property. Unfortunately, in mid-March, planning permission for conversion was granted.
The pub can be seen on this old OS map from about 1902 (larger map)
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)
(*** historic newspaper information from Bob Mitchell)
Old OS map reproduced with the permission of the National Library of Scotland.