Lowestoft Belle View
grid reference TM 548 944
View in Google Earth
CAMRA North-East Suffolk branch.
last updated 11/04/2015
May be confused with a nearby pub of same name.
Not shown on the 1886 OS map but well established by 1902 and also offered easy access to nearby attractions including Belle View park, Gunton cliff and concerts at the Sparrow's Nest gardens (10 minutes away).
Listed in Royal Plain in 1911.
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)
Sparrows Nest gardens were bought by the corporation in 1897 from the Davey family. The house, orginially built for Robert Sparrow, was converted into tea rooms. During the Edwardian era this was a popular venue for afternoon concerts during the summer months. A theatre subsequently built and used at the location for many years was closed in 1988 and subsequently demolished.
(some of these details from a book "A century of Lowestoft" by Ian G. Robb published in 1999 by Sutton Publishing)