grid reference TM 478 705
opened 18th/19th century
owner Chestnut Groupemail us
- 11-11 (all week); 12-10.30 Sun
- 1200-1500, 1800-2100
regular real ales
Adnams Bitter, Broadside + Green Jack range
listed building grade II
Local licensing authority for Dunwich is Suffolk Coastal
CAMRA Ipswich & East Suffolk branch.
last updated 03/08/2018
previously known as: Barne Arms Hotel
Real Ale is available here
St James St, IP17 3DT
Once a haunt of smugglers, the Ship at Dunwich isn't just a great place to eat, drink, relax and get away from it all; it's also part of a great local story.
The pub is set in a quiet, idyllic village, surrounded by nature reserves, heathland and beach, and only the romantic ruins of Dunwich monastery hint at the fate of this once thriving medieval town and port, that was claimed by the waves because of coastal erosion - in particular during a couple of terrible medieval storms.
The romantics say that you can still hear the peal of the church bells from beneath the waves, and up to 9 churches were lost in the Saxon township, but whilst nobody can guarantee that, there are certain more earthly things that the current pub owners are always happy to provide. Real ales, real food and a real fire. Comfortable, traditionally furnished rooms, some with views across the sea or marshes. An enormous garden, dotted with fruit trees (including a 300 year old fig tree) and a beach that really is just a couple of minutes walk away.
Beers from local brewers including Adnams, Green Jack, Earl Soham and Nethergate.
Beer Festivals in March and September.
Beer served through handpulls
Lunchtime meals (not just snacks)
Restaurant or separate dining area
Separate public bar
Traditional pub games available
Pub is accessible to disabled customers
Quiet pub - no electronic games, piped music or jukebox
WiFi available (a charge may apply)
Beer garden or other outside drinking area
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)
(** historic book information from Bob Mitchell)
The Barne family once lived at Shrubbery Hall and owned much land locally. They also once levied tax on coals landed on 6 miles of beach (3d per chaldron) and claimed small sums (fines and fees) for ship wrecks.