Fressingfield Jolly Farmershistorical era: mid 20th century
grid reference TM 288 762Something we've got wrong about this establishment? Something more you think we should know about it? Please email us
listed building grade II
View in Google Earth
CAMRA Mid-Anglia branch.
last updated 18/09/2017
The Jolly Farmers was built late in the 16th century as a farmhouse. It's now a B&B.
(see website at http://www.jolly-farmers-suffolk.com)
Originally opened as a beer-house in about 1830 and was bought by Steward & Patteson in 1885. When Watneys took S&P in the late 60s it closed in Nov 68 on economic grounds.from Stuart Newby (Jolly Farmers B&B - March 2008)
[Note the 1841 census shows Martha Chandler as a beerhouse keeper in the next entry, so this may be the Jolly Farmers.]
It's also been reported at Mill Green, Fressingfield, in 1881.
It's shown on this old OS map from about the end of the 19th century. larger map
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)
(** historic newspaper information from Stuart Ansell)
Old OS map reproduced with the permission of the National Library of Scotland.