Darsham Stradbroke Arms
previously known as Station
opened 1860 circa
grid reference TM 404 696
View in Google Earth
last updated 11/04/2015
Historically listed as a hotel & posting house. Now a café.
May also be listed at Turnpike.
On the 1 June 1859 the East Suffolk Railway Line was opened from Ipswich to Great Yarmouth - the pub probably dates from about that time.
A report in the Ipswich Journal** in July 1880 states :
To be sold by auction, all that exceedingly valuable and well accustomed freehold hotel and posting house, in perfect order and repair, situated in immediate proximity with the Darsham and Yoxford Railway Station, on the main line of the Great Eastern Railway, and known as the Stradbroke Arms, together with the large and commodious stabling and offices connected therewith. All the premises are most substantially built with white brick and slate, and were in the occupation of Mr W Catton, deceased. The extensive well conditioned and excellent stock of horses, carriages, and harness, etc., connected with the posting department, will also be offered for sale.
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)
(** historic newspaper information from Stuart Ansell)
The Earl of Stradbroke title was created in 1821 for John Rous, 1st Baron Rous, who had represented Suffolk as an MP in the House of Commons. He was also made Viscount Dunwich and was lord of the manor in Darsham. The Rous family seat is Henham Park near Blythburgh and is home to the Latitude Festival.