Dalham Affleck Arms
1 Brookside, CB8 8TG
grid reference TL 722 616
opened 1590 circa
owner Free House
- 12-3 5-11
- 12-11 (Sun)
regular real ales
4 changing beers
listed building grade II
View in Google Earth
Local licensing authority for Dalham is Forest Heath
CAMRA West Suffolk & Borders branch.
last updated 22/05/2016
An Elizabethan thatched pub. With four well kept and very reasonably priced beers and an atmosphere that encourages conversation, this is well worth a visit (or two) and is popular with weekend walkers. A rear garden patio and a front garden on the river Kennet also provide space for outdoor drinking on sunny days.
In 1968, Dalham suffered flooding so severe that the level of the River Kennett rose as high as the pub's bar. The landlord had to be rescued from upstairs.
Beer served through handpulls
Lunchtime meals (not just snacks)
Restaurant or separate dining area
Separate public bar
Traditional pub games available
Pub is accessible to disabled customers
Bus stop nearby (see public transport tab for details)
Railway station about 4.40 miles away (see public transport tab for details)
Quiet pub - no electronic games, piped music or jukebox
WiFi available (a charge may apply)
Beer garden or other outside drinking area
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)
(** information about Joseph Onion from Cherish Hudson)
(*** some historical information from village website - see http://www.dalham.com/affleck_arms.htm)
(some old PO directory information courtesy of londonpublichouse.com)
Sir Robert Affleck, Bart., was formerly lord of the manor, and resided at Dalham Hall, once the seat of the Stuteville family until his death in Oct 1882.