Clare Boar & Griffinhistorical era: ancient
opened 16th cent
grid reference TL 769 452Something we've got wrong about this establishment? Something more you think we should know about it? Please email us
listed building grade II
View in Google Earth
CAMRA West Suffolk & Borders branch.
last updated 18/05/2017
Now used as a shop, the building dates from the 16th century. It isn't marked on any available OS map (at least as early as 1886) so must have closed a long time ago.
The total extent of the inn isn't entirely certain, as no records make it clear. It may have only been part of the timbered section or it may have been the whole.
This 16th century building was refronted in the 18th century. One addition to the south-west was probably a stable block with a carriage entrance. Through the carriage entrance lies a 4-gabled block (now used as garages).
It was once a very important house in Clare. A record dated 1622 tells of a Gabriel Golding paying a rent of 4s.1d to Clare Honor for this, his 'chief house'. This was a sum which was considerably more than that paid by many others, who might only be required to pay as little as one penny.
The premises then included the adjacent private house and adjoining two shops. In addition to having been an inn it has been a wholesale trading house, and also varied business premises in the early 18th century.
At one time the whole set of premises from the Boar and Griffin to the present newsagent and stationer's comprised one exceptionally large shop, selling a very wide variety of goods from needles to furniture, including groceries and household goods, drapery, millinery, men's wear, footwear - and also contained a bank, employing between six and ten assistants who lived in and were looked after by a maid and a cook.
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)
Historical detail found in Clare Book II streets