Scroll through other Bury St Edmunds closed premises
Dates back to at least 1418 when it was referred to as the Castell in a document. Bought in 1553 by William Tassell (from Nicholas Platt) who in 1557 gave both the Castle and the adjacent Angel to the Guildhall Feoffees (a public body whose function was to administer local charities). Soon after the Feoffees joined the businesses under a single sign - the Angel.
(information from Old inns of Suffolk by Leonard P Thompson)
last updated 19/06/2013
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)