grid reference TM 336 898Something we've got wrong about this establishment? Something more you think we should know about it? Please email us
listed building grade II
CAMRA North-East Suffolk branch.
last updated 30/07/2017
Bungay Green Dragonhistorical era: Victorian / Edwardian
closed 1900 circa
2 Bridge St
The building dates from the 18th or early 19th century. A newer pub of this name is still open and has a brewery attached.
The building is now residential and called "The Old Pub".
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)
The green dragon may be a reference to the Earl of Pembroke and appears on their coat of arms. William de la Pole, 1st Duke of Suffolk was an important medieval English soldier and commander in the Hundred Years' War and later Lord Chamberlain of England. He was created Earl of Pembroke in 1447 and Duke of Suffolk in 1448. It can also be a reference to an alcoholic beverage made by leaching the leaves or stems of the cannabis plant in alcohol, most commonly gin.