last updated 10/05/2015
Commercial hotel and excise office in 1840.
Listed in Market Place in 1841 & 1851 censuses.
From the description of the Post Office having been here in 1855 (see historical section) it seems likely that the Bull was at the location shown. From the 1885 OS map (the earliest available) and later maps, the Post Office was evidently in the building pictured. Whether this was also the Bull, or that was one of the buildings behind this one (and inaccessible) is not clear.
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)
(** historic newspaper information from Stuart Ansell)
(*** historic newspaper information from Bob Mitchell)