Beccles Marquis of Granby
grid reference TM 421 907
View in Google Earth
CAMRA North-East Suffolk branch.
last updated 11/04/2015
In 1830 listed in Saltgate st
A report in the Ipswich Journal** on 07 Apr in 1841 states that :
Sale on behalf of Mr Robert CRICKMER, deceased, (to include) a free Public House, called the Marquis of Granby, capitally situated for trade (the tenant whereof is under notice to quit at Old Michaelmas) and a cottage adjoining, now used as a Storehouse, together with spacious Stabling for Horses frequenting the Wharf, Beccles
An extract from a Beccles newspaper*** published in 1841 states:
Sale: 7 June 1841 at the King's Head, Late the Estate of Robert Crickmer, decsd.
All that very highly desirable, old established and very valuable mercantile property, most eligibly situated in Northgate, by the side of the River Waveney, comprising a most extensive and complete range of capital warehouses and granaries, capable of containing upwards of 500 lasts of corn and 150 chaldrons of coals, with malting offices and two malt kilns attached, in full trade, all most substantially built and in good repair. Also a spacious and commodious WHARF or STAITHE extending in width 88 feet by the side of the River Waveney, and 150 feet in length from the said street, with which it has an entirely open communication for the conveyance of corn, coals and other merchandize.
Contiguous to the warehouses is a very comfortable DWELLING HOUSE (the late residence of the deceased) with a good counting house adjoining.
Also a free PUBLIC HOUSE called the Marquis of Granby, well situated for trade (the tenant whereof is under notice to quit at Old Michaelmas next) and a brick and tiled building used as a store house, together with spacious stabling for horses frequenting the Staithe. All frehold. Land Tax £2 12 0. Free Rent to the Manor of Beccles 2s 4d. [This is the property concerned with here]
Free Rent to the Manor of Rosehall 2s 1d
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)
(** historic newspaper information from Bob Mitchell)
(*** historic information from Allan)