Barrow Crownhistorical era: Victorian / Edwardian
closed between 1884 and 1903?
grid reference TL 765 634Something we've got wrong about this establishment? Something more you think we should know about it? Please email us
View in Google Earth
CAMRA West Suffolk & Borders branch.
last updated 12/07/2016
This pub is shown on OS maps at least as late as 1884, but disappears from the 1903 sheet onwards, so presumably closed between those dates.
According to A Survey of Suffolk Parish History, the Crown dates back at least to 1723.
A report in the Ipswich Journal** in 1876 (Jan-15) when Mr Palmer was landlord states:
James Earl a tinker slept in a barn belonging to the Crown. Eleven fowls, two of which were decapitated, were discovered in the barn, these birds had been stolen from a farm where Earl was working. Found guilty he received 9 months.
Shown here on the 1884 OS map
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)
(** historic newspaper information from Stuart Ansell)
(1861 census information from Malcolm Fairley)