Aldeburgh Albert Inn
previously known as Albert Refreshment Rooms
grid reference TM 461 568
View in Google Earth
last updated 11/04/2015
Victoria Road was previously called Station Road.
A paperback book published in 1969, called "Inns of the Suffolk Coast" by Leonard P Thompson** contains the following comment:
Owned by Adnams & Company & next to the site of the old Albert Brewery, now a garage. The houses to the right were the homes of brewery workers. It was also known as "The Fresh". At present (1969) Mr John Winter is the licensee having taken over from his uncle, Mr Meerut Winter, on 22nd September, 1969
The "Fresh" reference probably looks back to an earlier name, the Albert Refreshment Rooms. According to the 1904 Woodbridge licensing records (when it only had a six-day license), the Albert Refreshment Rooms' original beerhouse license was issued in 1870. It got a full license on Februay 22nd 1960. (Still known as the Albert Refreshment rooms at that time).
The Albert Brewery is probably associated with this pub.
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)
(** historic book information from Bob Mitchell)