Ipswich Staff of Life
closed January 12th, 1918
5-7 Hawes St
CAMRA Ipswich & East Suffolk branch.last updated 24/07/2015
Also reported at Purplett St., probably on corner with Hawes St.
Closure date recorded in the Borough Police licensed premises register 1903-1923.
A report in the Ipswich Journal** of May 1860 states that :
The following valuable long leasehold and freehold houses and well secured rents will be sold by auction at the White Horse Hotel on the 24th May 1860. Twenty brick built houses in Purplett Street, St Peter's, leasehold. Also, the Staff of Life beer house and Bake Office and five other houses in the same street, leasehold. Also, seven other houses, with stables etc., on the opposite side on the same street. Leasehold
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)
(** historic newspaper information from Stuart Ansell)