Clare White Hart
Clare Rd, Chilton St
grid reference TL 758 468
View in Google Earth
CAMRA West Suffolk & Borders branch.
last updated 23/07/2015
The pub is shown on the 1967 OS map but appears to have gone by the 1985 sheet, so presumably closed between those dates.
A report in the Ipswich Journal** on 24th June in 1859 states that :
Auction of the old-licensed Inn, designated the White Hart, Chilton Street, Clare. It comprises a Dwelling House, containing a Bar, Tap-Room, 3 pantries, kitchen, parlour, cellar, cola-house & 3 chambers; good stabling, cart shed, roomy yard & 2 excellent gardens. This Estate contains a frontage of 142' next the street, and is in the occupation of Mr Thomas BOUGHEN. Further particulars from W.B. FREELAND Esq.
Details of pub premises belonging to the Kedington Brewery estate sold, along with the brewery buildings, by auction 13 July 1883***.
Chilton Street: The White Hart
Situated in the centre of the hamlet, abutting the high road from Clare to Bury.
The House - which has lately been rebuilt - contains: Cellar, Bar, Bar-Parlour Tap Room, Front Parlour, Kitchen, Club Room and 3 Bedrooms.
The outbuildings comprise: A long range of Builder's Workshops, Piggeries, Fowl-house, Stable, Chaise-house, Coal-store Garden and Paddock of one acre pasture land.
Let to Mr. Frederick Sargent.
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)
(some old PO directory information courtesy of londonpublichouse.com)
(** historic newspaper information from Bob Mitchell)
(***Original source of documentation - Suffolk Records Office – transcribed by Graham Nunn)