The St, CO11 1RE
grid reference TM 102 331
opened 16th Cent
(details under review)
regular real ales
Guest beers vary, with recent ones coming from Elgood's, Woodforde's and Brentwood.
listed building grade II
View in Google Earth
Cattawade is part of the Brantham parish
Local licensing authority for Cattawade is Babergh
last updated 23/02/2015
A cosy two bar pub which is located near to a large former industrial area. The pub has good views across the nearby river Stour, looking across the estuary towards Essex. The access road and nearby ancient bridge was once part of the main road but has been by-passed for many years.
When the Xylonite factory was active, the Crown had a special license that allowed it to stay open ten minutes longer than normal so workers there could get a drink after leaving work.
Beer served through handpulls
Lunchtime meals (not just snacks)
Traditional separate public bar
Traditional pub games available
Real coal or log fire
Bus stop nearby (see public transport tab for details)
Railway station within about a mile (see public transport tab for details)
Beer garden or other outside drinking area
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)
(some old PO directory information courtesy of londonpublichouse.com)
(** information from Stuart Ansell)
The crown is a simple sign to show loyalty to the reigning monarch and apart from the commonwealth era (1648-60) has been a pub sign for over 600 years.