loading
Join CAMRA online
Photo of Black Horse
blankblanknextlast

Wickhambrook Black Horse



closed

opened 1850s

closed shortly after WW1

Farley Green

grid reference TL 734 532


Something we've got wrong about this establishment? Something more you think we should know about it? Please email us
View in Google Earth
last updated 23/07/2015

Also colloquially known as "The Bluster" (not the Blister as stated in the book 'Ten Miles From Anywhere' which is in fact a typing error). The nickname was a reference to the strong winds that whipped over the fields and in fact still do as you can see by the positions of the trees in the garden.

Today the house is called The Old Bakery as it was bought by a baker in the 1930's and was run as a Bakehouse until 1965.

(information from Linda Lambert)

A report in the Ipswich Journal** on Oct-25 in 1873 when George Webb was the landlord states that:

Webb, a grocer and landlord of the Black Horse, was robbed of his purse after he had visited a number of public houses in which he had been drinking rum and beer. A Henry Twinn was charged, tried and found guilty of stealing Webb's money and sentenced to six months hard labour.

Censuses record Farley Green and the Black Horse in Stradishall. (The pub is very close to the border.)

The house itself was built circa 1750 and was a Blacksmiths for about a century. (Hence the name The Black Horse Pub) It was run as a small alehouse for a while and eventually bought by Greene King in 1898 who owned it for 15 years.

A report in the Ipswich Journal*** on 30 Aug in 1870 states that :

Mr Brooke, applied for a licence on behalf of George WEBB, Black Horse Beerhouse, Stradishall; refused

Not listed in the 1916 Kelly's Directory.


(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)

(information from Linda Lambert)

(** historic newspaper information from Stuart Ansell)

(*** historic newspaper information from Bob Mitchell)


Note

There was another Black Horse on Hargrave Rd.