grid reference TM 394 690Something we've got wrong about this establishment? Something more you think we should know about it? Please email us
CAMRA Ipswich & East Suffolk branch.last updated 11/02/2019
Yoxford Three Tuns
also traded as as: Tunns, possibly Three Fens Innhistorical era: mid 20th century
The Three Tuns was a large coaching inn that once stood in the centre of the village. The pub dated back to at least the 1720s. In 1783 the Norfolk Chronicle reported the death there of one Robert Rayner.
In 1830 the "Royal Mail Telegraph" coach to London (via Saxmundham, Wickham Market, Woodbridge & Ipswich) called every morning at seven whilst the "Shannon" called every morning at six. The returning "Shannon" to Halesworth called every evening at half past seven. The "Royal Mail Telegraph" coach to Yarmouth (via Wangford & Lowestoft) called every morning at half past seven.
The inn burned down in 1925.
It can be seen here on an old OS map from about the end of the 19th century. larger map
Historically the Three Tuns is listed as a commercial inn & posting house.
The 1841 Census names the pub and it could be read as Three Fens Inn, but this is not clear.
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)
(some old PO directory information courtesy of londonpublichouse.com)
(** historic newspaper information from Stuart Ansell)
(*** historic newspaper information from Bob Mitchell)
Old OS map reproduced with the permission of the National Library of Scotland.