closed June 24th, 1954
last owner Lacon's
grid reference TM 073 785
View in Google Earth
CAMRA Mid-Anglia branch.
last updated 19/08/2015
Closed 1954 due to "lack of trade". Unsurprising, given the pub's remote location.
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)
(some old PO directory information courtesy of londonpublichouse.com)
Closure date from Hartismere licensing records.
The name may refer to an ancient meaning for the word magpie, "a half pint".