Woolpit Crownhistorical era: mid 20th century
closed between 1912 and 1975?
grid reference TL 973 624Something we've got wrong about this establishment? Something more you think we should know about it? Please email us
listed building grade II
View in Google Earth
CAMRA West Suffolk & Borders branch.
last updated 10/04/2016
The building dates from about 1600, though it's much rebuilt since.
The pub appears on the 1904 OS map but has gone by the 1975 sheet (intermediate ones are insufficiently detailed). Presumably it closed between 1912 (last directory entry found so far) and 1975.
A report in the Ipswich Journal*** on 18 Aug in 1802 states that :
Auction of the Crown Public House in Woolpit-street, Suffolk...comprises a kitchen, back kitchen, 2 large parlours, bar room, dairy and pantry, 6 chambers & garrets over the same; good stabling & other convenient outbuildings; also 2 large gardens, well planted with fruit trees & a pightle, containing about an Acre, well fenced in and all adjoining. There is also a right of commonage on Woolpit Warren...The above old-established Inn is now in full trade...£600 part of the purchase money may remain on security of the premises (Later disposed of by private treaty in notice dated 25 Aug 1802).
A report in the Ipswich Journal*** on 13 Sep in 1800 states that :
Woolpit Horse Fair - Susan HAZLEWOOD at the Ship; Ambrose TAYLOR at the Crown & Samuel WATERS at the Swan.
A report in the Ipswich Journal** in September 1810 states :
An advertisement in the Ipswich Journal in September 1810 reads, Woolpit Fair, the innkeepers at Woolpit respectfully inform the public in general, that the annual horse fair will be on the 17th and 18th September. The Peddling Fair, and Fair for Scotch Beasts, on the 19th and 20th. Every necessary accommodation will be provided, and the favours of the public gratefully acknowledged by their humble servants, Robert Last, Ship Inn, Baker Deaves, Swan Inn, Ambrose Taylor, Crown Inn.
A report in the Ipswich Journal** on Apr-05 in 1851 when Henry Green was the landlord states that:
Green and a Robert Otterwell were charged with trying to cash a forged cheque for £10 from R C Tacon. Messrs Tacon are brewers in an extensive way at Eye. Green received 10 years transportation, Otterwell 1 years jail.
Five borders in 1891 and listed as a commercial hotel in 1900 & 1912.
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)
(1891 census information from Dudley Diaper)
(1861 census information from Malcolm Fairley)
(some old PO directory information courtesy of londonpublichouse.com)
(** historic newspaper information from Stuart Ansell)
(*** historic newspaper information from Bob Mitchell)