grid reference TM 273 488
listed building grade II*
View in Google Earth
CAMRA Ipswich & East Suffolk branch.
last updated 10/04/2016
Now a private residence and shops.
The building dates from the 16th century.
The 1904 Woodbridge licensing records show that the Ship's license was issued in 1843. Whether this was when it was first licensed or when it got a full (ie not just beer) license isn't clear, though the latter seems more probable.
The license was expired in 1908 as part of a scheme to reduce the number of alcohol licenses.
Also listed at the Quay and at Common Quay.
At least three other buildings in the town have been used as pubs called the Ship in historic times (one nearby and two in Chapel St).
A report in the Ipswich Journal*** in October 1840 states that : An announcement was made of the death on the 30th, at Woodbridge, Mr Thomas Wilson, of the Ship Inn, Quay.
A report in the Ipswich Journal** on 07 Apr in 1841 states that :
On 29th March, 1841, Mr Pleasance of Bawdsey Ferry, married Mrs WILSON, of the Ship Inn, Woodbridge.
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)
(some old PO directory information courtesy of londonpublichouse.com)
(** historic newspaper information from Bob Mitchell)
(*** historic newspaper information from Stuart Ansell)
Closure date from Woodbridge licensing records.