Woodbridge Sherlock's Wine Bar
previously known as Royal Oak,
grid reference TM 273 490
listed building grade II
View in Google Earth
last updated 11/04/2015
The Royal Oak closed in the 1930s. The building was later used as a wine bar owned by actor Douglas Wilmer, who was apparently known for having played Sherlock Holmes - hence the name.
The 1904 Woodbridge licensing records show that the Royal Oak's license was issued in 1853. Whether this was when it was first licensed or when it got a full (ie not just beer) license isn't clear, though the latter seems more probable.
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)
Closure date from Woodbridge licensing records.
(extract from a town pub booklet written by David Hague which also includes extracts from Booth's Almanac of 1899)
(some old PO directory information courtesy of londonpublichouse.com)
(** historic newspaper information from Stuart Ansell)