grid reference TM 270 491Something we've got wrong about this establishment? Something more you think we should know about it? Please email us
listed building grade II
CAMRA Ipswich & East Suffolk branch.
last updated 16/09/2017
Woodbridge Prince of Wales
also traded as as: White Swan, Swanhistorical era: mid 20th century
closed October 7th, 1925
13 Market Hill
The 1904 Woodbridge licensing records show that the Prince of Wales's license was issued in 1703.
The license was expired in 1925, as part of a scheme to reduce the number of alcohol licenses. It's now a private residence.
The building dates from the 16th century.
(Note: Compare landlord information with the Swan, Market Hill.)
The 1791 Universal British Directory lists a Swan in Woodbridge, which has been entered under Swan, Market Street, but it could refer to this pub, which was previously called the Swan.
It's shown on this OS town plan of 1881.
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)
(some old PO directory information courtesy of londonpublichouse.com)
(** historic newspaper information from Stuart Ansell)
(*** historic newspaper information from Bob Mitchell)
Closure date from Woodbridge licensing records.