Woodbridge Cock & Pye
closed January 31st, 1911
78 New St
grid reference TM 271 491
listed building grade II
View in Google Earth
last updated 11/04/2015
Now a private restaurant. The building dates from the 17th century.
The 1904 Woodbridge licensing records show that the Cock & Pye's license was issued in 1853. Whether this was when it was first licensed or when it got a full (ie not just beer) license isn't clear, though the latter seems more probable.
The license was expired in 1911 as part of a scheme to reduce the number of alcohol licenses.
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)
(some old PO directory information courtesy of londonpublichouse.com)
(** historic newspaper information from Stuart Ansell)
(*** historic newspaper information from Bob Mitchell)
Closure date from Woodbridge licensing records.
The cock & pie may be a reference to peacock pie - a medieval dish for the wealthy.