grid reference TM 274 488Something we've got wrong about this establishment? Something more you think we should know about it? Please email us
listed building grade II
CAMRA Ipswich & East Suffolk branch.
last updated 10/04/2019
also traded as as: Boot, Ferryboathistorical era: mid 20th century
opened about 1530
closed September 30th, 1957
The face of the building alongside the road was actually the back of the pub; the front looked out onto the river.
The Woodbridge licensing records show that the Boat closed in 1957, when the license was surrendered for a payment of £700. It's now a private residence.
The Boat probably dates from the time the Charter for the Ferry was granted, about 1530.
The 1904 Woodbridge licensing records show that the Boat's license was issued in 1843. Presumably this was when it got a full (ie not just beer) license.
A 1939 photograph taken from the station footbridge shows the rear of a pub, named as the Boot, at the side of the road from the quay, just after a level crossing. This seems to match the location of the Boat, but confirmation is required.
The pub is shown on this OS town plan of 1881.
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)
(extracts from a town pub booklet written by David Hague which also includes extracts from Booth's Almanac of 1899)
(some old PO directory information courtesy of londonpublichouse.com)
(** historic newspaper information from Stuart Ansell)
(*** historic newspaper information from Bob Mitchell)