Withersdale Golden Cross
previously known as Cross, Withersdale Cross, Cross Keys?
closed May 1966
last owner S&P
grid reference TM 270 810
listed building grade II
View in Google Earth
Withersdale is part of the Mendham parish
last updated 21/07/2015
Listed historically (and in licensing records) as being in Mendham, as Withersdale is in Mendham parish.
A report in the Ipswich Journal** in Oct 1830 states that :
To be let a very convenient public house, with good stables and outbuildings, situated at Withersdale, by the turnpike road leading from Harleston to Woodbridge, may be hired at a moderate rent, with liberty to draw for and purchase wines and spirits of whom the incoming tenant may think proper. Immediate possession will be given. Further particulars may be had of Mr Short, the outgoing tenant, who has engaged a farm.
A report in the Ipswich Journal*** on 20 Jun in 1856 states that :
The Cross at Withersdale with stables, Outbuildings, Garden & Paddock - Freehold (In the occupation of Mr Henry CUTHBERT, who is under notice to quit at Michaelmas next - He also had occupation of the Half Moon at Rushall, with notice to quit following the sale of the Beehive Brewery in Diss, which owned 4 public houses & other property. The other Inns were the Beehive in Diss & the Bull in Pettaugh, occupied at a rental of £36 per annum by Messrs. Stevens, who were under notice to quit on 6th April 1857.
In 1861 listed at 21 The Street
A report in the Ipswich Journal*** on 21 Mar in 1868 states that :
Reference to John CHAPMAN of Withersdale, Innkeeper (No Inn Named) & late a prisoner for debt, in Ipswich Gaol
A report in the Ipswich Journal*** on 22 Nov in 1883 states that :
in the Stradbroke Sessions, the licence of the Cross Keys, Withersdale was transferred from Elizabeth BOOTY to Robert IVES.
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)
Closure date from Hoxne licensing records.
(old PO directory information courtesy of londonpublichouse.com)
(1861 census information from Malcolm Fairley)
(** information from Stuart Ansell)
(*** historic newspaper information from Bob Mitchell)