Wickham Market Chaise & Pairhistorical era: Victorian / Edwardian
closed August 19th, 1911
grid reference TM 303 563Something we've got wrong about this establishment? Something more you think we should know about it? Please email us
View in Google Earth
CAMRA Ipswich & East Suffolk branch.
last updated 21/09/2016
Now residental. Shown here on an OS map of 1884.
It isn't entirely clear how much of the building pictured was the pub. It may just have been the yellow-coloured section to the left, or it may have been the whole building.
The license was allowed to expire on August 19th, 1911 as part of a scheme to reduce the number of alcohol licenses.
A report in the Ipswich Journal** in July 1885 states :
To be sold by auction, by direction of the trustees for sale of the Will of Mrs Mary Ann Hill, deceased, a full licensed public house, situated in Bridge Street, Wickham Market, adjoining the Iron Works and the gas works, known as the Chaise and Pair, with ample outbuildings and large garden, the whole having an area of nearly half an acre. Now let on a yearly tenancy to Messrs. Bridges, Cuthbert and Co., brewers at Ipswich, at £10 per annum. In August that year it was reported that the Chaise and Pair had been sold to a Mr J Polls, Ipswich, for £690.
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)
(some old PO directory information courtesy of londonpublichouse.com)
Closure date from Woodbridge licensing records.
(** historic newspaper information from Stuart Ansell)
A chaise literally means chair and usually is an old reference to people who could afford their own carriage and horses.