Wickhambrook White Horse
closed 1920s early
grid reference TL 753 544
View in Google Earth
last updated 06/08/2015
It was reputed locally that a tunnel led under the road from the White Horse to the rectory. The building is now known as the White House.
Formerly listed as a commercial inn
A report in the Ipswich Journal** on 26th June in 1833 states that "To be let, White Horse P.H. - Wickhambrook, apply to Mr ISAACSON, Giffords Hall."
A report in the Ipswich Journal** on 26 Oct in 1869 states that :
The licensed Victuallers Tea Association advertised the sale of tea via its Suffolk Agents. This was a response to the irregular sale of Wine by Grocers and included a reference to W.COOPER of the White Horse, Wickhambrook.
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)
(some old PO directory information courtesy of londonpublichouse.com)
(** historic newspaper information from Bob Mitchell)