grid reference TM 412 811
View in Google Earth
CAMRA North-East Suffolk branch.
last updated 21/07/2015
Now Greyhound Farm.
Closed some time between September 1893 and September 1894 (precise date not yet known, but approximate date confirmed through licensing records).
A report in the Ipswich Journal** in Apr 1815 states that :
To be sold by auction that old and well accustomed freehold public house, or Inn, known by the sign of the Greyhound, situated and being in Westhall, with tenement or cottage adjoining thereto, together with good stable, an excellent orchard, well planted with fruit trees, yard, garden, and other appurtenances there unto belonging, and now in tenure or occupation of John Ellis and his under tenant.
A report in the Ipswich Journal*** on 6th September in 1879 states that :
Robert Bird of Westhall, requested a transfer of license from a public-house (not named) which had been burnt to the ground, to the cottage adjoining. The magistrates agreed to renew the licence if the owner of the house would undertake to rebuild it in 4 months, which was agreed.
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)
(some old PO directory information courtesy of londonpublichouse.com)
(** information from Stuart Ansell)
(*** historic newspaper information from Bob Mitchell)
Closure date from Blything licensing records.