31 High St
grid reference TM 465 791
listed building grade II
View in Google Earth
Wangford is part of the Wangford with Henham parish
CAMRA North-East Suffolk branch.
last updated 21/07/2015
Now residential - Swan House
Built late 18th century. Closed December 31st 1910 as part of a scheme to reduce the number of alcohol licenses.
A report in the Ipswich Journal** in May 1855 states that :
By the instructions from the Executors of the late Mr Samuel Gayfer, deceased, to be sold by auction, the Southwold Brewery, in seven lots, which includes three public houses. Lot 3. The Swan at Wangford, situated in the centre of the village, and now occupied by Mr W Newberry, consisting of mixing bar, tap room, bar parlour, large parlour, travelling room,5 large sleeping rooms, cellar, washhouse, etc.; yard with entrance from street, a pump of excellent spring water, stable for 8 horses, gig house with loft over, coalhouse, and other outbuildings, etc. Behind the building is a capital fenced in garden
A report in the Ipswich Journal*** on 02 Mar in 1861 states that :
Charles Day, of Wangford, labourer, found guilty of assaulting Henry TANN, Innkeeper, Wanford (Nr Southwold) Fined 3s 6d and costs 16s 6d, which he paid. Henry Tann, Innkeeper of the Swan, Wangford, was found guilty of knowingly permitting drunkeness in his alehouse. Fined £2 & costs which were paid at once.
A report in the Ipswich Journal** in Aug 1880 states that : Died on the 27th George Newbery, aged 40 leaving a wife and 6 children, landlord of the Swan Inn, Wangford,
In the Almanack on 13 Sep 1902 the following was reported: "The Beccles Town Band have their annual Outing, driving via Kessingland and Wrentham to Wangford, where an ample dinner was provided at the Swan Hotel."
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)
(some old PO directory information courtesy of londonpublichouse.com)
Closure date from Blything licensing records.
(** historic newspaper information from Stuart Ansell)
(*** historic newspaper information from Bob Mitchell)