grid reference TM 447 799
View in Google Earth
last updated 21/07/2015
The 1921 OS map shows the inn at this location.
Certainly still open as late as 1967 (the last licensing records available).
A report in the Ipswich Journal** in Oct 1835 states :
To be sold by auction at the Buck's Head, Uggeshall, the live and dead stock, household furniture and other effects, of Mr Daniel Dunham, who quits the occupation immediately; comprising 2 very choice milk cows, well timed in calf, useful bay hackney, 9 years old, light half load tumbrel, harness and various farming utensils; mahogany post and other bedsteads, with neat hangings, 3 excellent goose featherbeds and bedding, mahogany dining and card tables, parlour, kitchen and chamber chairs, glass, china, earth and stone ware, churn, milk keelers, and miscellaneous effects.
A report in the Ipswich Journal*** on 13 Jul in 1861 states that :
James Wright, Innkeeper of Uggeshall was summoned for having on certain cottages at Wangford, which he is owner, a foul & offensive nuisance - battlement Order issued.
A report in the Ipswich Journal** in Jan 1885 states :
Died on the 4th January 1885, aged 74, James Wright, for many years the landlord of the Buck Inn, Uggeshall.
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)
(some old PO directory information courtesy of londonpublichouse.com)
(** historic newspaper information from Stuart Ansell)
(*** historic newspaper information from Bob Mitchell)