Tostock Royal William
also traded as as: King Williamhistorical era: Victorian / Edwardian
closed between 1883 and 1891
grid reference TL 955 636Something we've got wrong about this establishment? Something more you think we should know about it? Please email us
View in Google Earth
CAMRA West Suffolk & Borders branch.
last updated 04/11/2016
Now called Royal William Cottage. At one time the pub had its own brewhouse.
A report in the Ipswich Journal** on 12 Jun in 1839 states that :
Royal William, Tostock for sale (no Landlord noted)
A report in the Ipswich Journal*** in Dec 1860 states that : The death was announced on the 2nd December 1860 of Mr William Jackson, aged 68, of the King William Inn, Tostock.
Listed as Old Royal William in 1901 census. Not listed in 1891 census and probably closed between 1883 and 1891.
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)
<(1861 census information from Malcolm Fairley)
em>(some old PO directory information courtesy of londonpublichouse.com)
(** historic newspaper information from Bob Mitchell)
(*** historic newspaper information from Stuart Ansell)