Sudbury Rifleman's Arms
previously known as: Rifle Arms, Riflemanhistorical era: date unknown
CAMRA West Suffolk & Borders branch.last updated 20/07/2015
Was known as the Rifle Arms Inn in 1893:
The Bury & Norwich Post** on May 2nd 1893 reports:
On Saturday there was much excitement in Sudbury by the fact that a strange Police Inspector and two strange constables, all in uniform were pursuing in hot haste up North street two soldiers whom they captured near the Rifle Arms Inn. The men, Private Nicholls and Cook of the Suffolk Regiment were handcuffed and taken to the police station where they were charged with attempting burglary at the Bull in Colchester. The police walked all the way from Colchester to the Five Bells at Cornard where they hired a horse and trap. The prisoners we understand will also be charged with desertion departed by the 10.17 train for Colchester.
The precise location of this pub is uncertain, but the news article in the overview seems to imply that it was probably quite near the south end of Melford Road.
The 1891 census lists the Red Cow (now Bay Horse) at 28, 29, 30 Melford Rd., the Plough at 32, 33, 34 Melford Rd. and the Rifle Arms (this pub) at 77 Melford Rd. The street has been renumbered after 1916 with the new odd numbers of the west side, placing the pub somewhere near the present odd 140s or 150s.
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)
(** report reproduced with kind permission from Foxearth & District Local History Society)
(some old PO directory information courtesy of londonpublichouse.com)