Sudbury Half Moon
35 or 36 Gregory St
grid reference TL 871 413
View in Google Earth
CAMRA West Suffolk & Borders branch.
last updated 20/07/2015
Demolished some time after 1960. The 1904 OS map shows a pub at this location; it's assumed to have been the Half Moon. If you can confirm or refute this, please let us know.
A report in the Ipswich Journal** in Jan 1875 states :
At the Sudbury Petty Sessions held on the 7th January 1875, Mr J H Scott, the new landlord of the Half Moon beer house, St Gregory Street, was granted a temporary license, in the place of Mr E Wheeler.
A report in the Bury & Norfolk Post & Suffolk Herald** on 3rd April in 1883 states that :
Reference to Mrs Eliza COOPER, of the Half Moon Inn, Sudbury & Ernest BELL, son of the landlord of the Horn Inn (now called North Street Tavern)
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)
(some old PO directory information courtesy of londonpublichouse.com)
(** historic newspaper information from Bob Mitchell)