Sudbury Green Dragon Inn
previously known as Dragon
93 North St
grid reference TL 874 414
View in Google Earth
last updated 22/07/2015
Demolished 1960s. Shown at this location on the 1884 OS town plan.
Known to have been open before 1747, when it was advertised for sale in the Ipswich Journal** and was described in January 10th 1747 as:
To be lett, a well accustomed Inn known as the Green Dragon in Sudbury, near to the market place, consisting of 4 rooms on the floor, in occupation of John Edwards-good brew house-stables for 30-40 horses. Enquire of Arthur Brewster of Sudbury.
In 1894, it was reported that the inn was simply known as "the Dragon Inn".
A report in the Ipswich Journal**** in Mar 1810 states that :
Public house to let. All that old accustomed public house , known by the sign of the Green Dragon, situated well for business in North Street, Sudbury, and now in the occupation of Mr Thomas Dixey, declining business. The stock consists of about 80 hogsheads of capital home brewed beer, good store casks, and brewing utensils with household furniture and fixtures, which are to be taken at fair a valuation.
A report in the Ipswich Journal**** in Sep 1850 states that :
Married on the 16th, at St Peter's Church, Sudbury, by Rev. Watts Wilkinson, Joseph, second son of Mr Edward Deeks, of the Bull Inn, Cavendish, to Susannah, youngest daughter of Mr Thomas Dixey, of the Green Dragon Inn, Sudbury.
A report in the Ipswich Journal** on 26 Oct in 1869 states that :
The licensed Vctuallers Tea Association advertised the sale of tea via its Suffolk Agents. This was a response to the irregular sale of Wine by Grocers and included a reference to S. ARGENT of the Green Dragon, Sudbury.
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)
(** report reproduced with kind permission from Foxearth & District Local History Society)
(*** historic newspaper information from Bob Mitchell)
(**** historic newspaper information from Stuart Ansell)
(some old PO directory information courtesy of londonpublichouse.com)
The green dragon may be a reference to the Earl of Pembroke and appears on their coat of arms. William de la Pole, 1st Duke of Suffolk was an important medieval English soldier and commander in the Hundred Years' War and later Lord Chamberlain of England. He was created Earl of Pembroke in 1447 and Duke of Suffolk in 1448.