previously known as George & Dragon
closed 1909 circa
6 Old Market Place
grid reference TL 874 413
View in Google Earth
last updated 22/07/2015
Also reported as being at Buttermarket. In 1832 it was advertised to let in the Bury & Norwich Post.
A report in the Ipswich Journal** on Apr-03 in 1841 when Robert Shelly was the landlord states that:
Shelly was a witness in a case of robbery and wounding. Two men were found guilty and sentenced to transportation for life.
The building was demolished in 1909; presumably it closed shortly before that:
A report in Suffolk Free Press*** on January 13th 1909 stated:
Work has started on the demolition of the " Old George Inn" at Sudbury in preparation for the erection of a large store for Messrs Walker. Six tenders were received, the lowest was by George Grimwood for £1462. The Old George was purchased for £900.
A report in the Ipswich Journal** on 14 Oct in 1843 states that :
To be let, with immediate effect, The George Inn, Sudbury; apply to Mr J.H.Anger, Ipswich or Mr R. SHELLY, on the premises.
A report in the Ipswich Journal** on 26 Oct in 1869 states that :
The licensed Vctuallers Tea Association advertised the sale of tea via its Suffolk Agents. This was a response to the irregular sale of Wine by Grocers and included a reference to J.W. CLARK of the George Hotel, Sudbury.
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)
(** historic newspaper information from Stuart Ansell)
(*** report reproduced with kind permission from Foxearth & District Local History Society)
(**** historic newspaper information from Bob Mitchell)
(some old PO directory information courtesy of londonpublichouse.com)