Stowmarket White Lion
opened 1620 circa
grid reference TM 049 588
View in Google Earth
last updated 11/04/2015
This building was very old when it became an inn - late 14th cent.
An earlier pub of the same name was located in the market place and traded from mid 16th cent to early 17th cent.
Building was partly demolished in 1960s when three northern bays were removed leaving just the single southern bay.
It appears at the location shown on the 1885 OS map.
A report in the Suffolk Chronicle** on 20th February, 1813 states the death of the only daughter (aged 2 and a half) of landlord Mr D. BALLS.
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)
(detailed information from Neil Langridge - and also Brian Southgate - see their book "Stowmarket, Combs and Stowupland Pubs" published by Polstead Press in 2009)
(** historic newspaper information from Bob Mitchell)
(some old PO directory information courtesy of londonpublichouse.com)
(** historic newspaper information from Stuart Ansell)